Sunday, September 10, 2006

Sadness, Part 1

The first of my goodbyes has happened this weekend - to Neil, an ex-colleague of mine from Preston. I haven't seen him face-to-face for about 2 years (although we've spoken to each other by phone, e-mail and text pretty frequently). I've little doubt I'll see him again around this time next year - he was already planning a climbing trip to the Grampians in western Victoria before my Oz job was even advertised - but there's still that little twinge, as it now becomes impossible for either of us to just drop in on the other unexpectedly, or with little notice.

I'm expecting those twinges to become more painful with repetition.

On a happier note, Mazimaz was as good as ever yesterday evening, and I got my usual extra-hot soup without asking for it. And my little sidebar in researching exactly where in Victoria the Grampians were has given me some ideas for a long weekend break when I finally get out to Oz.Also had a pretty decent 3-hour tennis match with Neil, and I finally took a set off him!

No comments: