Wednesday, December 20, 2006

On Top of Old Smokey

I played rooftop tennis this lunchtime. It was great fun. Pretty warm, but not scorching, and a pretty decent wind to make directing the ball fun (not to mention the odd sanded astroturf surface we were playing on that behaved like a clay court). It was all going swimmingly well till Jenny shanked a ball over the fence and down into the neighbouring park. We were 7 floors up. I hope it didn't hit anyone...

What wasn't so much fun was the smoke. I could smell it as I woke up this morning (and given the quality of my sense of smell, I'd hate to be someone who can actually use their nose) and the sun was a deep and cold red till about 10 am. Our office is about 3km south of the city centre, and we couldn't see it at all at lunchtime. Even over as short a distance as the height of the atrium within the office (7 storeys, perhaps 40m) you could see a faint haze hanging around the roof.

I'm starting to get a bit of a reputation at work. I keep finding other people's problems, and they're usually difficult ones (both to understand and to fix). I managed to find one on Monday that took 2 hours on Monday and 1.5 hours on Tuesday to sort out, and at one point on Monday involved everyone who was in the department at the time (6 of us) crowded round my PC with heads in hands.

I'm not sure that's quite what they hired me for!

No comments: